Broccoli can be absolutely delicious or extremely bland and mushy depending on how you cook it. I have found that roasting broccoli is one of the easiest ways to create the absolutely delicious version. With a just a few simple ingredients necessary, this roasted broccoli is crispy and so flavorful.
This is such an easy and healthy side dish. The walnuts become wonderfully toasted and add a nice crunchy element to the broccoli. A squeeze of lemon and some parmesan would be delicious additions as well.
Roasted Broccoli with Walnuts
- 1 large head of broccoli
- 2-3 tablespoons of your choice of oil (I did 2 tablespoons walnut oil and 1 tablespoon garlic-flavored olive oil)
- Handful of walnut halves
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 425. Cut broccoli into small pieces (this is important to maximize the crispness).
- Wash and pat completely dry with a paper towel.
- Add to a large baking dish along with the oil, salt and pepper (start with a pinch of salt, and taste after baking to see if more is necessary). Toss well and distribute the broccoli evenly across the dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, but about halfway through, turn broccoli over and add in the walnuts. Check occasionally to ensure that the walnuts aren't burning.
- Remove when the broccoli is slightly browned and crispy on the edges.
I don’t think I’ve ever salivated so much looking at broccoli. Even a broccoli casserole with plenty of cheese would fail to surpass this.
I never thought about roasting broccoli before…so it comes out actually crispy? That’s a far cry from my usual mushy, overcooked stuff! I’ll have to try this one too.